Personal information collected by PaDIL is governed by the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988.
PaDIL site – the website with the URL www.padil.gov.au (or any URL replacing it or containing it within the URL including but not limited to www.padil.gov.au/pbt) and associated webservices, internet publishing tools, software, tools etc.
Personal information is information relating to an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion provided.
We or us - refers to Museum Victoria, which is the legal entity representing and responsible for the PaDIL project.
You – means any person who provides personal information to us in connection with the PaDIL site.
Operation of PaDIL site
Site Visit Data
When visiting the PaDIL site, a record of your visit is logged. The following information is supplied by your browser or recorded by our servers:
- the user’s server address
- the user’s operating system (for example Windows, Mac etc)
- the user’s top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc)
- the date and time of the visit to the site
- the pages accessed and the documents/data downloaded
- the previous site visited
- search terms used; and
- the type of browser used
We use the site visit data for the purposes of:
- monitoring, developing and improving the quality of the PaDIL site
- dealing with your inquires and requests; and
- usage statistics such as determining traffic through the server, download statistics etc
This site visit data may be aggregated for analysis with identifiable characteristics removed. We may publish or provide this aggregated data to other people – for instance site/page usage statistics around a particular data set may be provided to the original Data Provider. We may also provide usage statistics to the government bodies that have provided funding for the PaDIL site.
Personal Information contained in Content
You acknowledge that if you:
- upload Content to the PaDIL website; or
- provide comments or opinions to forums
that contains personal information about you, that information will be public and we cannot control how that information is used by other persons.
Collection and use of Personal Information
When you e-mail us, use an on-line form, submit Content to us for inclusion on the PaDIL website or register for an account:
- we will record your name, e-mail address, postal address, organisation, area of interest and such other personal information as provided (your details);
- your details will not be added to a mailing list without your consent;
- we will only use your details for the purpose for which you provided them or directly related purposes as stated on the pages or forms where you submit it; and
- we will not disclose your details without your express permission.
If you provide your personal information associated with biodiversity related data or records, then users of that data will be able to see the personal information provided, and may use that personal information to:
Certain personal information may be required such as name and email address to provide a particular PaDIL service or product to you or respond to your inquiries. This information may also be used by us to inform you of additional related products or services or obtain your feedback on the service or product.
We will, at your request, provide you with access to any information which we have collected about you in accordance with Information Privacy Principle 6, Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). To gain access to this information you should contact us.
If you believe that any information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact us and we will revise the relevant information in accordance with Information Privacy Principle 7, Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
A cookie is a small file that a website sends to your browser when you access information at that site. Upon receipt of the information your browser saves the information on your hard-disk (unless your browser doesn’t support cookies). Each time you use your computer to access that same website, the information that was previously received is sent back to the website by your browser. It records information necessary for certain website functions, such as remembering your preferences or settings.
If you don’t want to accept cookies, you can set your browser and/or firewall to block them. You will still be able to access most PaDIL content but some interactive features will be unavailable.
Interaction with the PaDIL site
The primary interactive feature on the PaDIL site is the Dashboard a user receives following registration. Unless otherwise required or permitted by law, the information you provide to register will be solely used for the purposes of establishing a personal Dashboard and to allow you to login to PaDIL as a registered user.
This site contains links to other sites. PaDIL is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
Security of Information